Rwanda Gorilla Trekking Tours Vacations
Ignoring the tourist hordes that flock to the neighboring destinations, Rwanda has emerged as one of East Africa’s premier travel destinations. With a capital city transformed and world-renowned attractions which teem with wildlife and spectacular display of African culture, a Rwanda vacation trip is a perfect getaway-and-relax you might need after this fretful pandemic. Visit Rwanda and go gorilla trekking in one of the most revered rainforest jungles on planet earth.
Volcanoes National Park is Rwanda’s tourism jewel that makes a home to the mountain slopes’ gentle giants, the magnificent mountain gorillas. Thousands visit Rwanda every year to spend that once-in-a-lifetime hour with the great apes, and Nkuringo Safaris is proud to be a part of those precious moments. Let’s help you craft a Rwanda Gorilla Trip Vacation in your own style and help you clean off the Covid-19 stress. Start planning with a licensed, trusted, and experienced (15 years) local tour operator that understands what such an Africa safari experience would mean to you.
Top Rwanda Attractions Visit Rwanda
Volcanoes National Park
Also called Parc National des Volcans in French, where Dain Fossey set off this unforgettable adventure in 1967. It is arguably the best place to track and see gorillas in the whole of Africa. It has some of the best forest lodges on the continent. You can see hundreds of bird species, track the endangered golden monkey, hike the tenuous volcano summit, take a nature walk, and experience raw indigenous African cultures in the boundaries of the forest. Unlike the other three gorilla destinations, Volcanoes is easy to access and proudly pricey for the luxury treat.
Kigali Capital City
Most people will travel to Rwanda to see gorillas – but everyone should stay for the prolific cultural and historical experience in its cool, arty capital, Kigali, which is deserving of at least a couple of nights. It’s a tiny country, so it’s easy to drive everywhere. As a solo traveler, you’ll feel very comfortable catching the bus or finding your way around the city’s hot spots. Kigali is filled with cultural centers, genocide memorials, and unbelievable modern malls for contemporary traveler to spend their evenings. Tour Rwanda and stay a couple of days in Kigali.
Akagera National Park
The 90’s war left Akagera empty, but this beautiful park – with its lakes, papyrus swamps, hills, and savannah – is now a Big Five Africa safari destination. A game drive in the savanna tracks will reveal lions, elephants, buffalos, hyenas, hippos, and even the daylight shy leopards. The birding is excellent, too – there are nearly 500 bird species in the park, and an avid birder may encounter more than 100 species over a two-night stay. Akagera is an excellent addition to Volcanoes NP after seeing gorillas and doesn’t have to cross borders.
Why Visit Rwanda?
What’s going on there? Why visit Rwanda? Is the country safe? These are the frequently asked questions to anyone who wants to see the country. These questions are enough to second guess that decision and abort that trip. Maybe the country isn’t safe after all?
Kigali, the capital city, is known as the greenest and cleanest city in Africa, so why not Rwanda? Despite the dissenting opinions, come on, embark on a five-day Rwanda safari adventure to one of the best Africa Safari destinations yet with Nkuringo Safaris and experience first hand the beauty of Africa. It’s was nothing short of amazing. If Rwanda is still struggling at the bottom of your travel bucket list or isn’t there at all, then you need a change of heart. Rwanda is a must-visit, and here is why…
Safety is a priority for most travelers, and Rwanda is one of the safest countries not just in Africa, but in the world: Rwanda handled the Covid-19 pandemic impressively with a 0.6% death rate and great standards of tour Rwanda operation that see the country growing back its visitors after the pandemic.
In 2015, the country ranked fifth globally and first on the continent in Gallup’s Law and Order Index, which measures how safe people feel walking home at night. Violent crime is near nonexistent, and the terrorist threats that have plagued other East African destinations in the past have not affected Rwanda since the genocide. Rwanda is safe to visit.
Must Read: Is it safe to travel to Rwanda
The following Rwanda entry requirements are mandatory for all inbound travellers:
- All travelers arriving in Rwanda must have a negative COVID-19 certificate. The only accepted test is a SARS-CoV 2 Real Time Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT-PCR) performed within 120 hours of departure (meaning travelers must be tested and get results within 5 days of their first flight). Other tests, such as Rapid Diagnostics Test (RDTs), are not accepted.
- All travelers arriving in Rwanda must complete the passenger locator form and upload the COVID-19 test certificate prior to arrival. Please see passenger locator form and list of designated transit hotels on www.rbc.gov.rw.
- All travelers arriving or transiting through Rwanda will be screened upon entry and take a second RT-PCR test to confirm the negative results of the test done prior to arrival.
- All travelers are required to wait 24 hours for the results of their COVID-19 test in a designated transit hotel. All COVID-19 prevention measures announced by the Ministry of Health must be respected during waiting period.
- The Government of Rwanda has negotiated special rates at designated transit hotels for the 24 hour waiting period. Should a guest wish to remain in the hotel after.
Once at the hotel, the process is as following:
- Travelers will be tested for COVID-19 and there will be a medical team to assist for a total cost of 60 USD (includes 50 USD for the test and a medical service fee of 10 USD). For further information on payment method for COVID-19 test please visit www.rbc.gov.rw
- Test results will be received by SMS or email, and the turnaround time for results is 24hrs from the time a sample is collected.
- Upon receiving a negative test result, travelers will be invited to check out or may extend their stay in the same hotel at applicable hotel rates.
- If a traveler’s test result is positive for COVID-19 (even if asymptomatic) while in Rwanda, they will be treated as indicated in the National Covid-19 Management Guidelines until they have fully recovered, at their own cost. We encourage all travelers to have international travel insurance.
- All travelers departing from Rwanda must test negative for COVID-19. The only accepted test is a SARS-CoV 2 Real Time Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT-PCR) performed within 120 hours before departure. Other tests, such as Rapid Diagnostics Test (RDTs), are not accepted. We encourage travelers to book and pay for their tests at least 2 days prior to departure through the online platform available on www.rbc.gov.rw
- Travelers from neighboring countries planning to start their international travel from Rwanda will be screened at points of entry and taken to transit hotels where samples will be taken for a COVID-19 test. They are requested to arrive at designated transit hotels at least 48 hours before departure where they will await their test results. There will be a medical team to assist for a total cost of 60 USD (includes 50 USD for the test and a medical service fee of 10 USD).
- If travelers test results are positive for COVID-19 (even if asymptomatic) while in Rwanda, they will be treated as indicated in the National Covid-19 Management Guidelines until they have fully recovered, at their own cost. We encourage all travelers to have international travel insurance.
A direct flight to Kigali from London with Rwandair (a national carrier) takes about 9 hours 54 minutes and there are flights every day of the week. Other direct flights include Johannesburge, Amstadam, Istambul, Doha, Dubai and others. This was one of the reasons Rwanda is a destination of choice. The fact that you can take a direct flight to a travel destination is always very encouraging!
Foreigners who intend to visit Rwanda do not have to go through the hassle of applying for visas. With US$50 and a couple of questions, you get a visa once you arrive at Kigali International Airport. However, if you intend to do an East Africa tour, there is the option of purchasing a single tourist visa for Rwanda, Uganda and Kenya at US$100. More reason to tour Rwanda’s great attractions.
In the wake of Covid-19 pandemic, you may want to avoid contact with the visa process at entry point and make sure you have your visa before you jet in. Thanks to technology, this can be done online with little or no hustle as long you have the requirements to getting the visa like passport copy, yellow fever card copy, and other Covid standard requirements by the government. Here are links to help you get started: https://www.migration.gov.rw/anounce/online-visa/
Must read: Rwanda Safety Information
It’s no exaggeration, Kigali is the cleanest and greenest African city. The government encourages citizens to plant trees/grass in their homes and need a permit to cut down any tree. It is also a crime to walk on lawns in Kigali and you get fined $2 if you are caught walking on one.
Rwanda’s capital is on the move. From its psychedelic Easter egg of a convention center to car-free zones and yes, Wi-Fi cafes that dole out freshly spun smoothies, locally roasted coffee, and homemade scones (Café Neo, Bourbon Coffee), Kigali is making a mad dash toward modernity. Absorb the bright lights of Rwanda’s future at the Inema Arts Center, where promising young painters debut their best work amid weekly yoga classes and cocktail hours.
The tagline “Remarkable Rwanda” is apt as the Rwandans are truly impressive. The country and its people have come a long way from the genocide in 1994 and now live in peace and harmony. They are very welcoming to tourists and are always willing to help.
The land of 1,000 hills lives up to the greenery expectations with exceptionally gorgeous landscapes. The entire country is spread across various hills with abundant green confortably earning its name “Land of a thousand hills”. Potatoes, carrots, kale, chard, tea, cassava, sugarcane, coffee and passion fruit are key crops grown in Rwanda.
These horrific killings, aimed at wiping out an entire tribe, is easily one of the worst massacres to happen on the African continent in modern times. With genocide museums dotted across the country, the Rwandan people have documented this ugly past to the very last detail so the world can learn from it. Kigali Genocide Memorial is a must visit for everyone on a tour Rwanda vacation.
If you are an animal and nature lover, you’ll know that Rwanda is home to one third of the world’s population of mountain gorillas (the others are in Congo and Uganda). There are only about 1064 mountain gorillas remaining in the world and they can only survive in the wild. This means that to enjoy this one of a kind experience, you’ll have to “visit” them in their home.
To see gorillas in Rwanda, book a gorilla permit with Nkuringo Safaris for inside Volcanoes National Park, one of Africa’s oldest national parks, and our local experts will lead you on a daily guided gorilla trek that tops out at eight visitors per gorilla family. The only other two countries that we offer the same experience—in Uganda’s Bwindi Impenetrable Forest—require more vigorous hikes for seasoned hikers.
A gorilla permit in Rwanda currently (2020/21) costs US$1,500 per person per trek.
After acquiring lions and with the introduction black rhinos in Akagera National Park, Rwanda is once again a prime Africa safari BIG FIVE destination. With elephants, buffalo, and a wide variety of antelope, you’ll get the full savanna experience and the added bonus of the park’s river boat cruises, which include rare encounters with crocodiles and hippos. Akagera provides campgrounds and tents for a small fee, but honestly, “glamping” on the edge of Lake Ihema at the Ruzizi Tented Lodge is the way to go. Even better? All proceeds benefit the park.
Rwanda Gorilla Trekking Tours
Private/Tailor-made Safari Trips
What is a tailor-made safari?: A Tailor-made safari or private safari is a vacation trip in Africa that is crafted around the traveller’s preferences—likes, expectations, recommendations and travel style—with the guidance of an expert safari consultant. The trips listed above can all be customized to each individual for a perfect safari holiday.
With a wide range of experiences, attractions and great expectations to choose from, putting together a perfect Africa safari vacation can be a daunting task, especially when it’s your first time visiting Africa. And buying a pre-planned Africa safari package may not cut it.
Nkuringo Safaris consultants will listen and learn about your dream of Africa, what type of traveller you are, what moves your emotions, makes you smile and what lasting memories you expect. We’ll then—with you—craft an Africa safari holiday, take care of all the ground handling and take you to your dream with little or no hustle on your part.