Private Taylor made 24-Day Uganda Rwanda AMAZING experience My husband and I wanted a private safari tour. This was our first safari and our first visit to Africa. I used Trip Advisor’s resourceful reviews and customer feedback to make a list of places we wanted to visit. I emailed 6 different safari tours in East Africa with our travel dates, list of attractions and lodges we wanted to visit. Most of them emailed me right away with what seemed like copy/paste, cookie cutter trip itinerary. Lydia from Nkuringo Safaris took the time to read my list and respond with questions to help tailor my trip. Once she designed a customized private tour package for us, she communicated often via email and WhatsApp to further understand our needs. She scheduled our personal guide, Patrick to be by our side for the entire 24-day safari trip. He followed the detailed program from beginning to end but was very flexible changing the itinerary to suit our style and comfort level.
We booked 8 different lodges and only one was disappointing. As soon as we told our guide, he immediately acted and transferred us to a suitable lodge. Our guide Patrick was passionate about making our African trip truly memorable. The trip was perfect from start to finish. I highly recommend Nkuringo Safaris and their outstanding staff. We trekked Uganda and Rwanda. Both treks were difficult but with the assistance of the porters we got to the gorillas and were not disappointed. Each country was an entirely different, but equally enchanting experience. The team of professional trekking guides, walking porters, animal trackers, and walking safari guides all love to share the pride of their land, exploration and adventure. Our visit to see the gorillas exceeded expectations. How safe was the trip? Is the question I get asked the most after being back from our trip to East Africa. At no point during the trip did we feel in any danger. Our guide Patrick was by our side every step of the way. We traveled on a well-equipped, comfortable and spacious, super reliable 4x4 Toyota Land Cruiser. Patrick always had bottle water and snacks available for us. He was very experienced and knew the destinations very well. He is known and respected by everyone in both Uganda and Rwanda. Locals refer to him as big Papa. During the safari game drives, he drove on a mission, taking us off the beaten track to uncover every hidden gems. We met many groups of people with their tour guides, none looked as happy as we were with our Papa! So many highlights of the trip, every day completely different to the last. We are truly humbled and touched by the heartfelt sincerity of the people we meet on this safari. Everyone was professional and very knowledgeable but most of all helpful and kind. They all wanted us to have the most amazing experience. To them, this is not just a job, they support the local guides and the growth of the communities through tourism. The moments shared with the local people will be forever lasting memories. Every local we met shared their unique and warm hospitality. We arrived with an open mind and left with a full heart and long-lasting friendships. Here’s a brief list of our program:
Flew from Florida to JFK to Amsterdam to Entebbe
• Protea Hotel, Entebbe, took speed boat on Lake Victoria to Ngamba island Chimp sanctuary. Amazing experience! 2 nights
Aerolink Flight to Mweya
• Kyambura Gorge Lodge, 2 nights. Cruise along Kazinga Channel, Lake Edwards. Hippos, elephants, buffalos and so many more wild animals. Chimpanzee trekking in Queen Elizabeth was incredible. Definitely trek chimps in Uganda. Coffee plantation tour.
• Ishasha Wilderness Camp, 2 nights. Queen Elizabeth National Park. Game drive, lions, tree climbing lions, elephants, baboons. Bush breakfast and sundowner. All Incredible tours.
Aerolink Flight to Kisoro
• Clouds Mountain Gorilla Lodge, 3 nights. Bwindi Impenetrable Forest, Gorilla Trekking to meet the Nkuringo Family. Buniga Forest walk to experience the Batwa people. Amazing!!!
Cross Cyanika border into Rwanda.
• Sabinyo Lodge, 4 nights. Volcanoes National Park, Dian Fossey Karisoke RC, Gorilla Trekking to meet the Susa gorilla family of 22, Golden Monkeys. Life changing experiences!
• Nyungwe House, 5 nights, The best lodge!! Visited Musanze Market for vibrant fabric purchase. Colobus monkeys, chimpanzees trek not so great, canopy walk was fun.
Tea plantation and factory tour, best massage spa, yoga.
Flight Rwanda Air from Kanombe to Kigali
• Ruzizi Tented Camp, 2 nights. Akagera National Park. Ruzizi camp was terrible. I would not recommend. The Park and the guides were amazing! Game drive to see zebras, giraffes, hippos, elephants, vervet monkeys and more.
• The Retreat, Kigali 3 nights. City hotel with full amenities. Highly recommend to stay here and decompress from the safari before traveling back home. We visited Genocide memorial, Shopping Kimironko markets, Kigali Craft Village.